These are just a few of the questions about MOTs that we are most often asked. Click on a question to reveal the answer.

How soon before the MOT expires can I get the test done?
You can get the vehicle tested at any time – however if you want to preserve the existing expiry date you can come in up to a month, minus one day, beforehand. E.g. if the expiry date is 27th October, the first day you can book is 28th September. This ensures you have plenty of time to book a convenient test slot before the existing certificate expires.
I can't remember my MOT expiry date, can you tell me?
We can, but you can also find this information easily yourself at
My MOT has expired - can I still drive my car?
The only time you are permitted to drive once the MOT is expired is when driving to a prebooked MOT test, or the repair centre for repairs to get through the MOT.
If you do this, please provide us with your registration number when making your test appointment so that, if you are pulled over, we can confirm that you were definitely on your way to us.
I've lost my MOT certificate - can I get a new one?
Yes, you can. We will need your registration number and part of the vehicle identification number (VIN). With those we can print a duplicate, which costs £5. You may want the duplicate if you are selling the car, but if you only want to find out the date the MOT is due see You will need your vehicle registration number to use this service.
How long does the MOT take? Can I wait?
The test takes around 45 minutes. You are welcome to wait or leave the car with us, it’s up to you. We have a waiting room and free hot drinks are available.
What happens if the car fails the MOT
You have 10 working days to sort out any repairs and bring the vehicle back for a free retest. A retest only covers the failure points and directly associated components so may only take a few minutes. If you can’t make it back within that time we will have to perform another full test at the full test rate.
The latest DVSA advice on driving a failed vehicle can be found at
What does Class IV or Class VII mean? I don't know my vehicle's MOT class
Most cars will be Class IV. Motorbikes are Class I (up to 200cc) or II (over 200cc, including with sidecar). Motorhomes and most smaller vans are Class IV too.
Vans/goods vehicles of 3 to 3.5 tonne are Class VII. We may not be able to test some vehicles which are particularly long or tall, it depends on whether they will fit into the workshop. If in doubt, please ask us for advice.
I don't want to end up with a big repair bill
We don’t want you to either! As an independent MOT station that does not perform any repairs, we won’t present you with a big bill; we only provide fair and honest MOTs.
We are not partnered or affiliated in any way with any other garages or repair centres but may be able to offer advice if you don’t know where to go for repairs.
Does my car even need an MOT?
In the majority of cases it will if it is over three years old and was made on or after 1st January 1960. Check the exemptions here.
Pre-1960 vehicles are exempt from testing, however owners may still choose to give them an MOT test. We would advise that classic owners do consider having their vehicles tested, simply for the vehicle safety checks that the MOT provides.